Sunday, March 13, 2011

Weeks 4-9... I am such a bad blogger!

So, it's been a bit. Can I just say oops? Rather than post all my stats (which would take forever), I'll just use this update as more of a generalized update. Between January 30 (day after my last blogged run) and March 13 (today, even though my last run was March 11), I have run 18 times for a total of 98.67 miles. I should have 24 runs for a total of 149 miles. I missed a couple mid week runs because of my work schedule and my refusal to do anything over 3 miles on the treadmill now (there's something about my form on the treadmill that is no bueno!), one 12 mile run because of a stomach bug, and 3 runs this week because of an injury. The missed runs this week include today's 16 mile run.

I'm not exactly sure what is wrong with me. An old ankle injury started bothering me on my Friday run last week (March 4). I cut the run a little short to let it recover for my long run Sunday. It was doing OK until about mile 5 on my Sunday (March 6) run. I think I changed my gait to allow me to keep running with less ankle pain, which helped... for a bit. Then my heel/back of my foot/ankle started having serious pain around mile 10. I, like an idiot, was too stubborn to stop. I finished the run (14.5 miles) but after cooling down could hardly bear weight on it without severe, shooting pain. The pain continued into Monday as I hobbled around work all day. Fine, I though, I'll take a couple days off to let it heal. So I skipped the Tuesday and Thursday runs. It still hurt but was definitely feeling better so I thought, let's try the Friday run before heading out on my 16 mile run Sunday. I only ran 2 miles Friday because the pain became so horrible I knew I couldn't finish my planned 4 miles. I actually got out my crutches Saturday because I couldn't bear weight on it all without almost crying.

I have googled heel pain but none of the "regular" running injuries seem to have my symptoms. I am going to take a full week of running off (which as I said earlier, includes the 16 I was supposed to do today). Depending on how it's feeling as the week progresses, I may even suck it up and make a trip to the doctor to see if we can figure out what is going on. You can be damn sure that I will be running 26.2 miles on May 1, though! I'm just hoping I can do the half marathon I wanted to do next weekend, too. I promise to be a better blogger from now on and will keep you updated on my recovery and the rest of my training!

No comments: